Saturday 9 February 2008

5,4,3,2,1. the countdown...

Once again its here... Just when i am getting over the effects christmas had on my wallet, another lucrative season is here.. Its the all famous Valentine day, people see it in different ways. Some see it as an overrated excuse to spend money, others see it a an oportunity to celebrate a loved one. Personally, i swing both ways. The deciding factor for me usually is the state of my love life at that point in time.. I have done some valentine shopping this year and this should give a hint as to which way i'm swinging this year...
Personally, what never ceases to amaze me is the fact that you always seem to find more women shopping for gifts than men. Is it that the men are closet shoppers or there is something in us women that makes us fall victim to the advertising gimmick or women are just wired in a way that they just want to celebrate the one they love?
I was talking to a particular friend of mine and i told him i had bought a certain number of cards. He practically screamed and asked me if one was not enough. For me i did not think so because each the cards said something totally different. I then asked him if he had done his shopping and he promptly said no. I was gobsmacked, because i know this is a man that loves his wife to bits.
This actually got me thinking about how women look forward to being surprised on this day; and it also made me wonder if that is actually the motivation for all the shopping women do. Do women give just because they expect to be given in return? Who knows, one can never understand womenfolk.
I sincerely hope that by the my friend gets to read this he would have done his valentine shopping.. and not leave it till the very last moment.

No comments: