Friday 1 February 2008

A virtuous Woman

I'm at a funny place right now... Being a woman and having listened to all sorts of admonitions on being a virtuous woman and constant reminder of the passage of the good book that comes with it.. Some even call that type of woman the Proverbs 31 woman. Beecause they believe that the woman that has all those qualities is a 'virtuous woman'.
Unfortunately in this day and age a lot of us women cant hold a candle to the woman that was described in that chapter. I for one would like to possess all the qualities stated here but i strongly suspect that i would burn out if i had to be a 'virtuous woman' and still be on top of my career obligatations.. dont know about you but i am definately not super woman
After having struggled with trying to be a virtuous woman for a little bit now, another passage of the good book hit me again... and i must say it liberated me from trying to the be 'the Proverbs 31 woman' but a virtuous woman in my own right.
The passage that struck me was that of the woman with the issue of blood.. My understanding of the passage is having tried all and done all to get better and finding it futile, the woman realised that all she needed was a touch from the Master. In the face of all obstacles she pressed on and focused till she reached the helm of His garment. She knew in her heart that once she could connect she would be whole.
Discreetly, she touched his garment and alas, she was made whole... Most of us remember the story up to that point. For me a great realisation came when i realised that the Master felt the touch of the helm of his garment and he said 'virtue has left me'

This realization has brought me to a point where i am beginning to believe i dont need to focus on the standard set in Proverbs 31, but to block out all forms of distraction and forge ahead till i can also touch the helm of his garment and recieve virtue...
In a nutshell, a virtuous woman by my own understanding is not one who works by the proverbs 31 standard but by touching the Master and allowing virtue flow from Him into her life....

2 comments:

Oluwakemi said...

Beautifully written and highly inspiring!

Toksboy said...

Are you related to Shalewa B? Currently doing an MBA?